ANOTHER CHANCE FOR STAR WARS?
A DOZEN IDEAS TO REVATILISE THE FRANCHISE, GET IT BACK ON TRACK AND MAKE IT FUN AGAIN!
Lucasfilm has been wrecking Star wars, or rather Kathleen Kennedy’s Political/Feminist agenda has. But all is not quite lost; there is a spark of hope out there.
The whole concept behind it was good versus evil and overcoming that evil. That arises out of despair and anguish like a Phoenix rising from the ashes.
That simple premise has been forgotten by KK and her cronies. THAT is why there has been a fan rebellion and both Last Jedi and Solo were complete failures.
With the ‘Original Trilogy’ there were several factors crucial to its success- strong characters male and female- though they were few/ the Hero’s Journey, although I wasn’t aware of the story structure at the time/allusions to the Second World War, the Roman Empire, the seven Samurai, even Laurel and Hardy with the droids. We even get a David vs Goliath with Luke taking on the Death Star in his X-Wing.
These latest ones lack consistency- like runny porridge, you know it’s been rushed and not cooked properly. Force Awakens/Lost Jedi/Solo have been flawed by bad writing, inconsistent direction, bureaucratic interference and micro management.
Paradoxically, Rebels and Rogue One have been flawless, well-written and well made. “Rebellions are made on Hope” Jyn said, quoting Cassian. So here we go- A dozen ideas-
- Sabine’s quest to find Ezra after Endor. There you go, a simple premise and taking a well-rounded Female Lead character off to rescue her male friend- the White (and purple/blue) Knight-ess off to rescue her Prince- there’s a subversion of the traditional fairy tale for Kathy.
- Bounty Hunters. One of the mooted Live-action series ideas that got shelved when Disney took over. Grim, gritty and maybe gruesome- not sugar-coated sweetness that Disney execs are used to- let’s see some Underworld action!
- Darth Vader/the 501st Legion. Having Vader as the Lead/focus is a great opportunity for Drama- he’s an iconic villain, his appearance in Rogue One and fight at the end really elevated the ending, so let’s see the CONFLICT- the shades of grey between darkness and light Luke saw in ROTJ, let’s see him waver, make him go to Naboo, visit Amidala’s grave and do some silent grieving.
- Smugglers. Here’s your Sitcom – Friends/Big Bang Theory in space! There’s a story in one of the Tales graphic novels of an Imperial Captain on a Star Destroyer who intercepts a Corellian Corvette, piloted by Han and Chewie. They inspect the ship, find no evidence of contraband, so let them go. A week later, the Corvette with Han and Chewie again, so inspect, find nothing, let it go, but he suspects there’s something not quite right. A week later, same ship and crew- so the Captain searches thoroughly- nothing. He has no choice but to let them go. Then he realises, it’s not the same ship, they’ve been smuggling Corvettes! A great tale and possibly something worth considering.
- Rebels Series 5. They’re still going, so why not continue the adventures of The Ghost or crew- Scariff/Yavin/Hoth/Endor. Or have a different ship or crew? No one cares about Resistance, so why not go back and carry on this? Doesn’t make sense Disney/Lucasfilm.
- Explorers. Something Star Trekky, out in the Unknown Regions.
- 80’s Comic Adaptations. There were some strange crazy adventures Luke and co had in between the movies. Let’s have the Hoojibs and Jaxx for a change!
- A Time Travel series? Okay, there’s thousands of years in the old EU Timeline, but Luke does ask threepio if he can “alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport me off this rock”, so at least there are a few SF stories in the galaxy!
- The Thrawn Trilogy. I didn’t read it when it first came out, but this is an awesome continuation of the Saga.
- Infinities. The Darkhorse comics did something very brave, different and risky- something execs at Disney and Lucasfilm should sit up and take notice of- a Reinterpretation of the Original trilogy. I even had my own idea- The Tatooine Rebellion. Inspired by Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina and using Steve Sansweets Encyclopaedia, I charted how each of the background characters would react and which side they would fight for if the start of ANH took a slightly different turn, with the Tantive 4 crashing into the Dune Sea and Leia and the droids hiding while Vader led a legion of Stormtroopers down. Interestingly, the first Battlefront game on PS2 had a Dune Sea and Mos Eisley level- great fun!
- Storming the Dead. One of those happy accidents that sometimes happen when I went to Hamfest-Oldham Comic con last year. Spectre Squad, a cosplay/costuming group were there, along with some painted props/sets, including a door saying ‘don’t open, dead inside’ so I had the idea of Stormtroopers going in, so set up a mini-photoshoot with several of the guys posing in front. When I got home, I saw the footage and was inspired to make a Walking Dead/Star Wars crossover, so had to have Tiglet narrate it- great fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI0hQg8BE6w
- ANOTHER CHANCE. When you think about it, the destruction of Alderaan in ANH is the most heinous crime you could think of- the murder of millions of people echoes real life crimes like The Holocaust/911/Darfur/Pearl Harbour. As leia said, it is the most desperate hour, echoed by Obi Wans line- “millions of voices crying out in terror and were suddenly silenced, I fear something terrible has happened” The saga’s most chilling moment, more chilling than Order 66. I get goosebumps and shivers. Battlestar Galactica has done it, but in Star Wars, the survivors are spread out across the galaxy. Like Games of Thrones, it is an epic tale of betrayal/survival from several viewpoints in different places. There have been hints of a persecution of Alderaani survivors in Inferno Squad and a graphic novel about Leia, but a series like this would be awesome. So, there you go Lucasfilm/Disney- less Mary Poppins in space and more Drama! Make Star Wars great again!